Monday, November 07, 2005

Rob Birdwell Jazz Solo Clips

The following are some audio clips of my Jazz solo work. It can be a challenge to play something "new" on the spot - especially with tunes that I've played time and time again -but that's part of the fun and craft of Jazz! Even though I'm playing with intent, I'm usually as surprised as anyone at what comes out. Much depends on my mood, the energy of the space we're playing, whether or not the audience is actively engaged, and how tuned in we (the band) are to each other. I'm not sure these particular solos represent anything significant for me (I suppose I've played better and certainly worse!), but they do at least represent some of my recent moments and honest attempts and expressing musical ideas through improvisation - enjoy!

Stella by Starlight

In A Mellow Tone

Blue Bossa

Alone Together

The musicians playing on these tracks are John Bliss on Guitar, The Viking on Drums, Mike Rhodes on Bass, J.G. on Piano, and me (Rob Birdwell) on Trumpet/Flugelhorn.

No comments: