Thursday, June 17, 2004

Just a State of Mind

Over the last 8 days or so I chipped away at a two minute musical production for a proposed sit-com called "The Good Life." The lyrics were supplied by Jesse Mata (whom I've only met once)- he's young and eager to get this thing to market, so I decided to give it a go. The music I wrote was only supposed to be a simple demo (a concept), but as I whittled away at it, making it fit with the lyrics he wrote, one thing led to another and the track took form and sounds...well, not too bad for a demo! It should be interesting to see how the process of pitching this thing goes. That will not be my bag, baby.

Honestly, I feel a bit funky with the idea of writing sit-com music (don't get me wrong, I would enjoy the paycheck if it came) - but I don't even watch TV much at all so my frame of reference for what I would consider "good" theme music for this genre is fixed in time with shows like "Sandford & Son" (Quincy Jones), "Love Boat", "Mork & Mindy" - you get the picture. These were the shows I watched as a kid - so there's a bit of each of those in my musical treatment of "Just a State of Mind."

Who knows - maybe retro will be in soon...again.

No comments: